|Coffee & Tea Festival NYC
The crowds at the 4th annual Coffee And Tea Festival enjoyed two action-packed days. Consumers and area retailers gathered once again in the beautiful Metropolitan Pavilion to learn about and sample some of the best coffees and teas from around the world. The Coffee and Tea Festival was selected as one of the 10 Best New York Events for April 2009.
The coffee and tea exhibitors delivered an international lineup that surpassed years past, representing countries far and wide. Among the new and notable exhibitors at the 2009 festival: Omoma Coffee, Harney & Sons, El Pedral Coffee, Fuze, Erica’s Rugelach, Green Mountain Coffee, Keurig, A Taste of Home Bakery, Ancestral Coffee, Sacred Rose Tea, Jada, Te Light, Srina Tea, and Starbucks.
Attendees were thrilled to see the return of some of the special presenters as well as new and topical presentations on home roasting, Turkish coffee, and cooking with tea. All were delivered to standing room only audiences.
The presentations included:
• Home Roasting 101, Presented by Donny Raus, President of Northeast Roasters Group
• Korean Loose Leaf Tea Ceremony, Presented by Yoon Hee Kim, Korean Tea Culture Foundation
• Chocolate Tasting, Hosted by Dina Cheney, author of Tasting Club
• Afternoon Tea: Tips Terms, and Traditions, Presented by Ellen Easton
• The Art of Coffee Cupping & Tasting, Hosted by Marcela Zuchovicki of Jalima Coffee, Sponsored by Gillies Coffee
• From Garden to Cup: Journey With Tea, Presented by Yoon Hee Kim, Korean Tea Culture Foundation
• Think Outside the Cup: Creating Coffee-And Tea-Infused Desserts, Presented by Celebrity Chef Melody McGinley Whitelaw
• Turkish Coffee & Culture, Presented by Sule Akoglu of The Turkish Cultural Center
• Korean Powdered Green Tea Ceremony, Presented by Yoon Hee Kim, Korean Tea Culture Foundation
• Green Teas of China, Korea and Japan, Presented by Yoon Hee Kim, Sponsored by TeaClassics
• And back by popular demand, Chris Cason, Tea Sommelier at Tavalon Tea, who will lead a spirited tea demo, Tea Cocktails.
SCAA Awards “Coffee of the Year” to C.I. VIRMAX COLOMBIA S.A. OF COLOMBIA
If you’re a lover of specialty coffee, why not drink the world’s best? At the Specialty Coffee Association of America’s (SCAA) 21st Annual Exposition, C.I. Virmax Colombia S.A. of Colombia took the title of “Coffee of the Year.” The winner beat out more than 100 international coffee producers, by winning SCAA’s 2009 Roasters Guild Coffee of the Year Competition. SCAA is the world’s largest coffee trade association.
During the competition, expert SCAA cuppers evaluated and ranked the world’s finest specialty coffees. More than 30 experienced judges selected the winning coffee by cupping, or thoroughly evaluating the scent and taste of each coffee sample. The judges specifically assessed six distinct attributes of the coffee samples, including: fragrance, aroma, taste, flavor, aftertaste and body.
2009 Coffee of the Year Results:
- Colombia C.I. Virmax Colombia S.A. Los Naranjos (San Agustin, Huila)
- Panama Hacienda La Esmeralda Boquete
- Ethiopia Ninety Plus Coffee Yigrachaffe
- Colombia C.I. Racafe & CIA S.C.A. Huila
- 5 Kenya Royal Coffee - NY Aberdare Ranges
- Guatemala El Injerto, S.A. Highland Huehue
- Hawaii Ka'u Farm and Ranch Company, LLCDistrict of Ka'u on the Big Island of Hawaii
- Colombia C.I. Virmax Colombia S.A. La Piramide (inza Cauca)
- El Salvador Exportadora El Volcan S.A. de C.V. Apaneca/Iiamatepec Mountain Range
- Guatemala San Diego Buena Vista Acatenango
Sip For The Cure Teas Benefit Susan G. Komen For The Cure
The Republic of Tea adds two new flavors, Red Cherry White Tea and Pomegranate Vanilla Red Tea to its popular SIP FOR THE CURE COLLECTION, benefitting Susan G. Komen for the Cure and honoring the 2009 National Breast Cancer Awareness Month.
In addition to Red Cherry White Tea and Pomegranate Vanilla Red Tea, the brand's signature SIP FOR THE CURE COLLECTION includes original favorites, Pink Lady Apple Green Tea, Pink Lemonade Green Tea and Pink Grapefruit Green Tea for a total of five exclusive teas created to support the fight against breast cancer.
For every tin of SIP FOR THE CURE tea sold, The Republic of Tea proudly contributes $1 to Komen for the Cure and .36 for every Traveler's Tea Tin sold.
SIP FOR THE CURE teas are sold separately, available in tins containing 50 all natural, unbleached, round tea bags, suggested retail prices range from $10 to $15, depending on the flavor. Refillable Traveler's Tins contain six tea bags are also available, suggested retail prices range from $4.25 to $5. wwwRepublicOfTea.com